History

John George (J.G.) Jacob began working as an electrician for Best Electric in Peoria in the 20's and through the Great Depression. In 1933, he decided to start his own business, Jacob Radio and Electric, in Morton. He would repair radios, do typical electrical work and marketed Delco batteries and electric wind plants to rural customers.

In the late 30's, the company's name changed to J.G. Jacob and Sons when his sons, Ray, Joe and Ken were old enough to work. During World War II, the sons were called off to duty, but each returned when their service had ended to carry on the family business.

In the mid 50's, the Jacob family assumed full control of Foster Electric and Foster-Jacob was formed. Ray's eldest son, Gary, took control of the company in the 90's, making him the 3rd generation of family to own it. He began learning the company at an early age, visiting job sites with his grandfather and working in the shop. He then joined the apprenticeship in 1967 at age 17 and in 2003 earned his M.B.A at Bradley University.

 
 
 


 Gary started learning the business at a very young age with his grandfather J. G. Jacob

 
 
John "J.G." Jacob as an electrician for Best Electric mid to late 1920's
 
Part of our fleet in the 1950's at J.G. Jacob's house in Morton, IL
 
Louie and Milt
 
Ray Jacob (far right) with some of the utilities' managers
 
J.G. Jacob and Sons second location in Morton, IL
 
Sheridan Village under construction.  The first shopping center in Peoria, IL
 
J.G. at our first office in Peoria, IL
 
Newspaper article on the merger of J.G. Jacob and Son with Foster Electric
 
Joe Jacob at the trade expo
 
An early advertising campaign
 
Joe in American Wireman Trade Magazine article

 

© 2010 Foster-Jacob Electrical Contracting
Join us on Facebook